Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Food Journal #1

I have seen a ton of amazing meals online and love trying new things, especially healthy things like vegan meals (minus the soy products)! so, I have decided to start a food journal here on this blog.  I won't always post a recipe but I will try to post a lot more of the meals we eat and whether or not we like it since most of the meals I make we have only had once or twice... ever (just because we like trying new things and eat seasonally).
Everything we eat is organic, including all meat unless it was wild caught so I will not state this again in any other posts or over and over again when stating what the meal is (for example organic blah blah with organic blah blah blah) .. and all beef, the rare time we have it, is grass fed and pasture raised. In our house, we do not eat 100% vegan or vegetarian but strive to minimize our meat in taking as well as soy, sugar, dairy, and yeast (often equaling gluten too). 
I'm gonna get real personal with y'all.... ready? no? okay because its happening anyways... I have major yeast and sugar problems. Like high-school-geek-break-out kind of problems. Like, I eat sugar and the next day my face looks like mars. So I avoid sugars... sugars of all kind. But we are human... and I like pancakes.... and ice-cream. I have yeast problems. Like... well... I'm not gonna go there but I'm sure you get the idea. We, as a family, have decided to cut back on all animal products, as stated before. Why? Honestly, organic animal products cost a lot more then produce... and honestly, its healthier. Also, in our house, we strive to live a more "homestead" type of life. We have aspirations to start one even, one day. So, we try to eat things we would be willing to provide for ourselves if given the opportunity. We think "where did the cow come from?" "was it happy in a field and lived a good life?" "good enough to die happy?" If we can't say yes who heartily, we wont get it. Same with dairy and eggs. Is it cheap? hecks naw! but that is another reason we limit it. So now you know our views with food and dietary preferences. We also don't make other meals for Little one. He eats what we eat. Always has. :D we got blessed with this kid I tell you! Oversharing helps answer questions before they happen. :) 


That said, these posts are not a "heath" or "diet" thing. please do not refer to it as a weight loss or diet page. Just me sharing things we like as always. :)

Here are the three I got photos of already. There was a lot of meat going on this week via hubbies request but I assure you... it's not normal and is a lot for us. Just a heads up.

 The first meal I took photos of was a dinner three nights ago.

Half a beef short rib cooked in chimichurri sauce with oven roasted potato, carrots and chives seasoned with garlic, basil and parsley (herbs from our garden) cooked in olive oil.
It was good but the beef was a little to fatty for me. I also wish I had used more of a Mexican or Spanish seasoning selection on the veggies. Over all, still tasty.


The second day I still only managed to get dinner. :/ I know, I'm a slacker. *sigh*
We had beans, onion, and swiss chard on corn tostadas topped with feta, greek yogurt, and roasted piquillo peppers. This was easy, just cook the first three things together and smash some of the beans, then add some salt, pepper, and paprika, stir, done. top some on a tostada shell and pile on the rest! its one of our favorites.



Yesterday I did better. I got TWO meal, lunch and dinner!
I like to go easy with lunch. A lot of times it will be leftovers. or leftover plus some other stuff, or something simple.
For lunch, I made leftover Italian sausage (half a sausage and Little man had the rest), garlic spinach, some chopped fresh pineapple, a fried egg, and half a serving of cherry greek yogurt (not show because I split it with Little man and he had it at the time).

For dinner, we had salmon burgers with a aioli sauce. topped with tomato and spinach and served with corn on the cob with basil (from the garden) butter (homemade butter).

Holaa! Something different than an above shot! :P hope you all appreciate that as much as I do sometimes. I will try to get better at doing every meal and taking them from a different shot. Though you do have to remember, I have two hungry men in the house at the time I create these... and we really do eat them. No tv cooking here! So snapping a photo before its half gone or before someone snaps at me for not taking forever to serve it is a big deal. At least, in this house.
Hope you all have a happy Tuesday; and for all you guys at the office, hope you can hold out until lunch or dinner now!
Let me know if you all would like a recipe or recipe links or more or fewer details on the food or more photos. This is all new right!? so I would love YOUR views. 

No comments:

Post a Comment